Prior experience with major scientific commemorations (selected)
DNA at 50: The 50th anniversary of DNA structure.  - see Appendix 3.
The 50th anniversary of the first protein X-ray photo.  special issue of Social Epistemology, London, #4, 1992 including commentaries and replies.
Jacques Monod's (1910-1976) memorial volume. [1979, 1980] Essay review, 1982.
The first anniversaries of molecular biology in US and France. see Commemorative Practices in Science (University of Chicago Press, 2000) 324-372.
A comparative analysis of international scientific anniversaries: (Ibid. Intro. 1-34)
- The quincentennial of Copernicus; 
- The tercentenary of Harvard University; 
- The centennial of Darwin's seminal book, The Origins of Species; 
- The centennial of Louis Pasteur's death; 
- The centennial of Max Planck's birth; 
- The half centennials of the use of the atomic bomb; Los Alamos NL. [1995, 1993]
- The 25th anniversary of CERN; 
- The 50th, 60th, and 70th anniversaries of the "Copenhagen spirit;" [1935, 1945, 1955]
A comparative analysis of French scientific anniversaries, (Introduction to La Mise en Memoire de la Science (Paris, 1998), including:
- The bi/centennial of Lavoisier's death. ;
- The bi/centennial of l'Ecole Polytechnique. [1994, 1894]
- The centennial of Pasteur and the Pasteur Institute. 
Centennial of Einstein's 1905 discoveries.  programs; participant observation at a Science Museum fund raiser, Boston, March 2004; systematic document collection.
Centennial of Einstein's birth.  collection of key documents in English, German, French, Spanish, Hebrew.
The 200th and 250th anniversaries of Columbia University. [1954, 2004] archival research in Columbiana; comparative analysis in progress of key documents, website, products.
Centennial of the Nobel Prize.  participation in conference at CHF, Philadelphia; see also Nobel at 100 at the Exploratorium.
Centennial of the American Physical Society.  research grant from CHP-AIP.
The 50th anniversary of CNRS.  invited participant; analysis in progress of 7 issues.
The 50th anniversary of the Ford Foundation.  analysis in progress of 10 booklets.
Return to Homepage